What type of company may submit a solution?
The Explorer showcases green technology in the following sectors: Architecture and Construction, Bio and Natural Resources, Energy, Food Production Systems, Health, High Technology, Ocean Industries, Smart Cities and Transportation.
All companies registered in the Norwegian Register of Business Enterprises in Brønnøysund are eligible to submit a solution, with the exception of:
- sole proprietorships,
- accelerator programmes,
- companies that offer only e-learning platforms,
- companies that produce only consumer goods (even if these are sold B2B),
- companies that are purely distributors,
- consultancy firms that provide only services and not solutions.
What criteria must be satisfied when submitting a solution?
There are three criteria that a company must satisfy when applying. The company must:
Confirm that it takes a responsible approach to the principles of good business practice, as outlined in the guidelines below, by conducting a risk analysis (e.g. a due diligence) to identify and mitigate negative impacts of both its own operations and its business relationships:
The OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises
The UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact.
2. Confirm that its solution is green. Green solutions are defined as technologies, products, processes and services that reduce impact, directly or indirectly, on the environment compared to their current alternatives.
These may include: cleaner technologies that reduce pollution; more environment-friendly solutions, products and production processes; renewable energy; more efficient resource management; new uses of biological resources; and technological systems that reduce environmental impact.
- Specify which of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals the solution may contribute to achieving, with a brief explanation.
It is an advantage, but not a requirement, that the solution is scalable, with potential for international growth.
Read full version
This is a short version of the criteria. Companies planning to submit a solution should read the full version of the criteria.
How are solutions assessed?
Companies and solutions are assessed based on the information submitted by the companies. Companies are themselves responsible for verifying that all information is correct.
The Explorer has an editorial team and a team of experts who assess the greenness, sustainability and, if applicable, scalability of each solution. In cases where it is uncertain whether a solution is green, The Explorer will let an external expert advisory board decide.
Companies can also ask for their solution to be assessed by this board.
Please also read The Explorer’s terms and conditions.